FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Middle Name is Earl: For You Literary Types

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

For You Literary Types

Basically I have two things in my life to which I devote the majority of my time - books and movies. While my odd case of ADD draws me to new hobbies, which I immerse myself in for a few days and then forget, those are the big two that I always stick with. And lately, with my reading, I've noticed a funny overlap.

When I'm reading a book with new characters in it, once the writer gives a physical description of that character, I replace him/her in my head with some famous actor. Right now in the book I'm reading, the main character is Reed Richards from Fantastic Four, the heroine is Jennifer Connelly, and the main character's grandfather is Ian McKellan.

Is this odd? Do any of the rest of you do this?

When I used to read, I just made up in my head what these characters looked like, and never thought anything of it. But now, I'm replacing my own mental creativity with stock images from Hollywood. I kind of like it, I can picture in my head how the scene would be acted, but I feel like I'm copping out. What do y'all think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I think you watch too many movies! ;)

For my mental book characters, they usually have the body type/features described in the book, but no face. I can never see faces in my head. They all kind of look like those Amish dolls Mamma had sitting around the house!

10:27 AM  
Blogger HS Nothingswronghere said...

It's pretty bad when I think someone else watches too many movies.

I always just make people up in my head, although their attributes often remind me of people I know.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in my mind the main character often takes the form of the authors picture on the back cover.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Class of 2000 officers said...

i'm still working my way through bob sceiffer's 'things i couldn't tell you on television' or something like that written by scheiffer. i'm in texas during the civil rights movement. they still said 'extra! extra!' back then.

so i'm saying i mostly picture bob scheiffer.

i miss you, friend. where have you been?

10:38 PM  
Blogger Brittiny said...

Apparently I'm wierd. When I read books I make up people's faces, habits, etc. based on what is written in the book and what I've seen people do in my life.

11:27 PM  
Blogger BB said...

I always do that -- either picture the characters as an actor or as someone I've met in life. Sometimes their a weird "Mr. Potato Head" of people (i.e., neighbor Jack's face on cousin Billy's body with classmate George's demeanor. When a can't do that sometimes the writer's the image I get.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home