FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Middle Name is Earl: A Seven-Day Weekend Squeezed Into Three

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Seven-Day Weekend Squeezed Into Three

I think it was Einstein who coined the following description of time and relativity... I say I ‘think’ it’s Einstein because I’m typically too lazy to remember or look up cool quotes that I want to drop into my own text. But anyway, the description of how time is relative goes something like this.

The length of one second is a relative thing. Compare the length of five seconds spent kissing a significant other, next to five seconds with your bare hand on the hot eye of a stove. And there is the theory of relativity.

This weekend was kind of like that. Some weekends just fly by and are gone before you know it. But I’m sitting here at work on Tuesday and it feels like I’ve been on a week’s vacation, three-day-weekend notwithstanding.

I think I put at least 1,000 miles on my truck this weekend. I drove six hours on Friday, after working a full day, and sat in a swelteringly hot gymnasium while two of my cousins graduated from high school. Sometimes I forget some of the things I dislike about where I grew up - sitting next to me was a little dirt-faced kid, causing a fuss, and the woman ‘keeping an eye’ on him was actually louder than the kid. It was a friggin’ graduation ceremony, for Pete’s sake, and she was using a regular outdoor redneck voice to shut the kid up during the valedictorian speech.

“Look up there, mommy’s watching you and you’re going to get in trouble,” the woman (she may have been a carnie) drawled at the kid.

I looked up and one of the girls in the front row, be-decked in cap and gown, glared down at the kid.

Ah, Sweet Home Monroe County.

And that was just Friday. The rest of the weekend was filled with the walking dead, a S.T.A.R.S. tactical combat unit, Star Wars storm troopers, and that was all just in Goodale Park. From there, the pickup truck was filled with goodies once more, the make up was removed (although if you ask Experimental Dater I still looked like I was wearing eye liner) and it was off to the camp site. I will blog in detail about those experiences soon.

It’s been a long-ass weekend. Time to return to the real world, sans zombies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brittiny said...

Aww I feel special. I was made note of in your blog.
And yes, it still looked like you were wearing eye liner. Not many men are given the opportunity to use my eye makeup remover.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I'm reading apather right now, and although it's funny as hell, I kep thinging that the guy who wrote it masturbates to hunter thompson before writing each chapter.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm drunk right now, so forgive my mispelling of "apathy"

11:02 PM  
Blogger Merlin said...

That's funny, Keith, because I got pretty much the same impression.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home