FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Middle Name is Earl: Maybe There's Something In This After All

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Maybe There's Something In This After All

I received one of the best professional comments I've ever had tonight. I was sitting through the Westerville planning commission meeting, and followed a guy into the lobby to grab a business card.

When I introduced myself and said I work for the paper, the guy recognized my name. I wanted to do a story about his business, and he seemed happy to hear it. He commented that I've been really busy lately, and I asked him what he meant. He said there had been a lot of big things going on in Westerville lately, and every time he saw a story about something that meant anything my by-line was on it.

He mentioned a couple specific stories I had written in the previous weeks, and when I shook his hand, he said he was excited that I was writing a story about his business, because he thought I'd do a good job.

That's a damned good feeling. And it comes on a good day, a day after pissing off nearly half of my sources in one afternoon. It might be hard sometimes, and thankless a lot of the time, but this writing thing just might work out. Besides, shooting guns is the only other thing I do well, and a military haircut is a little too short for my liking.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger fireguy said...

You have to have bad days to appreciate the good ones

10:42 PM  
Blogger Jaydubs said...

Aw, that's great! It's nice to know that people are not only aware of your work, but respect it and value it, too. I admit, I don't read either of our papers as much as I should, but I've always enjoyed reading the stuff you write.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Why don't you have the RSS feed function on your website? Craig just taught me how to use it and I can't make yours work.....*tear

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home