FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Middle Name is Earl: Turnover from the Bottom of the Totem Pole

Friday, January 27, 2006

Turnover from the Bottom of the Totem Pole

So we're getting ready to send off yet another one of our mercurial reporters in a couple hours. Jack is leaving us for the greener pastures of Cincinnati, far from the flatlands of the central Ohio news front. As I said yesterday, may the wind always be at yer back, Jack.

I haven't been here long, but there's been a lot of faces coming and going in the past few months. Three cheers for me, I don't feel like the new guy anymore! Though new-guy-mentality worked well for me, I had more incentive to do a better job. Now I'm feeling a little more anemic about the whole information gathering process. The stories will come, I suppose.

I have been formally challenged to a karaoke showdown. Being the newcomer, I have boasted of my talents, and office heavyweight Garth has taken notice, and seeks to reassert his dominance. The grounds have been chosen and terms agreed upon, so tonight I go to seek my fortune and glory as the reigning barroom hero of my news room. A quote comes to mind: "It's a funny thing, being taken under the wing of a dragon ... It's warmer than you'd think."

I will have to bust out such tried-and-true songs as Kenny Rogers' Gambler, a barrage of Neil Diamond, and of course if I'm deep enough in my cups, Metallica's 'Whiskey in the Jar.' If these don't leave Garth sufficiently reeling, I may have to drop the acapella-bomb called the Scotsman Song. I am savagely afraid I will get too drunk and do a solo version of the traditional Irish song 'Paddy's Lamentation,' which I once did on stage in a bar for my friend's birthday present, only to be met by a silent, sullen crowd with violence in their eyes. I haven't returned to Casa Cantina since.

Wish me luck, that I might dethrown the king of Journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home